USMNT Weekend Viewing Guide: An Oktoberfest Weekend
There is a solid roster of USMNT action this weekend, starting on Friday with a few players plying their trade in Europe resting during the next international break.
Athletic Bilbao vs. Deportivo AlavÃ©s – 3p on ESPN +
Matt Miazga and Deportivo AlavÃ©s will look to build on a huge 1-0 win over Atletico Madrid when they face Athletic Bilbao on Friday afternoon. Miazga started and played the 90s in the game, which was AlavÃ©s’ first win and first points in six matches. Miazga also avoided getting into a biting contest with Luis Suarez, so it was a huge win all around.
The late push was not enough for Miazga to be called up for October, but if he continues to play in La Liga for AlavÃ©s it could make it increasingly difficult for Gregg Berhalter to forget him. There has been speculation that there may have been some dust between Berhalter and Miazga during the Nations League camp this summer that led Miazga to leave early to prepare for her wedding. However, the experience of Kellyn Acosta, who was himself fired from one of Berhalter’s early camps and has now taken on the role of Tyler Adams’ clear replacement, would seem to suggest that if a player continues to s ‘improve, he will have opportunities later.
- Julian Green, who was also overlooked by Berhalter, will look to lead Greuther FÃ¼rth to his first Bundesliga victory when he faces Cologne at 2:30 p.m. on ESPN +.
- Gianluca Busio is signed for the October window and has secured regular starts for Venezia, who will face Cagliari at 2:45 p.m. on ESPN + in a relegation. Busio’s teammate Tanner Tessman was not called up and saw room minutes for the Serie A side.
Wolfsburg vs. Borussia MÃ¶nchengladbach – 9:30 a.m. on ESPN +
Our Americans in the weekend’s Bundesliga game see John Brooks and Wolfsburg take on Joe Scally and Borussia MÃ¶nchengladbach. Brooks and Wolfsburg suffered their first loss of the season last weekend to Hoffenheim and Chris Richards, dropping to third in the Bundesliga table. Midweek, the team drew 1-1 with Sevilla in the Champions League. Their opponent this weekend is Borussia MÃ¶nchengladbach, who won a 1-0 victory over Borussia Dortmund last weekend. It was Gladbach’s second victory this season and they now sit in the middle of the table with seven points from six games. Joe Scally leads all Americans in minutes played in the Bundesliga this season, having played every minute so far for his side.
- Christian Pulisic is yet to recover from his injury suffered during the September window. His Chelsea fc in profile Southampton at 10a on USA Network.
- Face of Austin FC Real salt lake at 3:30 p.m. on TUDN and UniMas.
- Tim Ream, Antonee Robinson and Fulham fc take on Coventry City at 7:30 a.m. on ESPN +. Robinson was held back midweek due to injury but would have been a minor so it will be interesting to see if the alleged starting left-back is available for Fulham this weekend.
- Chris Richards and Hoffenheim take on Pellegrino Matarazzo’s Stuttgart side at 9:30 a.m. on ESPN +. Richards collected an assist last weekend in Hoffenheim’s 3-1 win over league leaders Wolfsburg.
- Josh Sargent will have some time to focus on making an impression with Norwich City, who will face Burnley at 10a on Peacock.
- Matthew Hoppe and Mallorca take on Levante at 10:15 a.m. on ESPN +. Hoppe did not see the pitch last weekend in the club’s 3-2 loss to Osasuna.
- Nicholas Gioachinni and Montpellier face Strasbourg at 11a on Fanatiz USA and beIN Sports. Gioacchini has seen minutes for the club since joining in mid-September.
- Weston McKennie and Juventus are looking to continue their ascent out of the hole they dug early when they face Torino at noon on Paramount +. Juventus have won three straight wins, including their midweek Champions League victory over Chelsea, but McKennie has been used sparingly, caught public criticism from his manager and forward rumors began to swirl.
- Tyler Adams saw a few minutes on the bench in a return from injury as RB Leipzig suffered a nasty defeat at the hands of Club Brugge in the Champions League. This just after Leipzig enjoyed a huge 6-0 win to relieve the pressure from Jesse Marsch a bit, it looks like this seat could get quite hot again and a win over Bochum will be needed. The match will take place at 12:30 p.m. on ESPN +.
- Yunus Musah sees minutes increase for Valencia, who are currently in eighth place and will face Cadiz at 12:30 p.m. on ESPN +.
- SergiÃ±o Dest’s FC Barcelona find themselves in a rough spot, and it looks like Ronald Koeman is on the verge of getting out of it. The final blow could come on Saturday afternoon as Barcelona face an Atletico Madrid side who were caught looking to the future last weekend in their 1-0 loss to Alaves. The game will be on ESPN + at 3 p.m. ET.
MLS Mashup (all games on ESPN +):
Lille v Olympique Marseille – 11a on beIN Sports and Fanatiz USA
It is a rare clash for USMNT in Ligue 1, as Timothy Weah and Lille face Olympique de Marseille and Konrad de la Fuente on Sunday morning. Weah came back from injury and established himself as a key player for Lille who have now won their last two games after a difficult start to the season. The mini winning streak has propelled Lille to 9th place in what feels like a tight race for second place, as the PSG juggernaut is unsurprisingly perfect in his first eight matches and already holds a nine-point lead for the champion title.
Marseille saw their unbeaten streak come to an end last weekend when they lost 3-2 to Lens. Konrad has appeared in every game for the club who now sit third in the table, although the last two have come off the bench. The winger was a bit of an unexpected drop for the October roster, but he still has plenty of time to continue growing with his club.
- After not seeing a minute for the first six weeks of the season, Timothy Chandler suddenly started the final two games for Eintracht Frankfurt, a 1-1 draw with Cologne in the league and a 1-0 win over Royal Antwerp in the Europa League. . The next step is a match with Bayern Munich at 11:30 am on ESPN +.
MLS Mashup (all games on ESPN +):
- James Sands and NYCFC take on Walker Zimmerman and Nashville SC at noon. The two center-backs may have a moment to complain as they were dropped in the last call-up.
- Toronto fc face the Chicago fire at 16 o’clock. Neither team has an active USMNT player, although Toronto has a few veterans and the Fire has a young goalie who could become something down the line.
- The Philadelphia Union keep moving forward with a game strategy for your kids and will face Gyasi Zardes and the Columbus’ crew at 16 o’clock.
- Cristian Roldan and the Seattle Sounders confront Kellyn Acosta and the Colorado Rapids at 10 p.m.
What are you watching this weekend? Hit the comments below and let us know how you are preparing for the international break.