Athletic Bilbao vs Espanyol Predictions and Betting Tips
The 2022-23 edition of La Liga returns with another round of fixtures this weekend as Espanyol take on an impressive Athletic Bilbao side in an important game at the San Mames on Sunday.
Athletic Bilbao vs Espanyol Preview
Espanyol currently sit 16th in the La Liga table and are yet to hit their stride this year. The Catalan outfit suffered a 3-1 loss to Real Madrid last week and will need to bounce back in this game.
Athletic Bilbao, meanwhile, currently sit fourth in the table and have been impressive so far this season. The Basque giants beat Cadiz 4-0 in their previous game and will be looking to achieve a similar result this weekend.
Head to head Athletic Bilbao vs Espanyol and key figures
- Espanyol have a good record against Athletic Bilbao and have won 18 of the 48 matches played between the two sides, compared to 13 wins for Athletic Bilbao.
- Athletic Bilbao are unbeaten in their last five La Liga appearances and are closing in on a streak against the Catalan side in 1946.
- Athletic Bilbao have won five of their last seven La Liga games against Espanyol at the San Mames, with their only home loss during that spell in 2018.
- Espanyol have lost their last five La Liga games against sides from the Basque country – their longest run against sides from that region since 1976.
- Espanyol are winless in their last 10 La Liga fixtures and have taken just one point from a possible nine so far this season.
- Inaki Williams’ streak of 236 consecutive games in La Liga will likely come to an end this weekend after the striker picked up an ankle injury against Cadiz last week.
Athletic Bilbao vs Espanyol Prediction
Athletic Bilbao have been impressive so far this season and will be determined to secure their place in Europe in the months to come. With Inaki Williams unavailable, Alex Berenguer and Neco Williams will have to step up and take on the goalscoring burden.
Espanyol have been in poor form so far but gave Real Madrid a hard time last week. However, Athletic Bilbao are the better side and should be able to win this game.
Prediction: Athletic Bilbao 3-1 Espanyol
2 for 1 new player bonus at Barstool
Athletic Bilbao vs Espanyol Betting Tips
Tip 1: Result – Athletic Bilbao
Tip 2: Game to have more than 2.5 goals – Yes
Tip 3: Athletic Bilbao will score first – Yes
Tip 4: Neco Williams scores – Yes
Paul Merson predicts Man Utd v Arsenal, Everton v Liverpool and more GW 6 fixtures! Click here